Genetic variability in crops as manifested in morphological or molecular diversity is essential for crop improvement leading to the production of preferred crop types. Assembling characterization and evaluation of crop germplasm are key steps towards selection of new varieties for direct production or for use in hybridization programmes. My research objectives over the years have been in these areas; Morphological characterization of local legume and vegetable crops. Quantitative variability and expected genetic gain from selection among variable crop entries. Exploitation of variability through selection for production and hybridization aimed at improving earliness to maturity fruit/seed yield and quality. Teaching and Administration I have been a member of staff at the Department of Crop Science since August 1989 teaching Plant Breeding and Biometry at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Between 2002 and 2004 I was on sabbatical at the University of the South Pacific responsible for similar assignments.
Vision for WACCI Establishment of this centre is a timely intervention to initiate a comprehensive programme for sustainable crop improvement in the West African sub-region. I can visualize a centre of excellence where crop varieties are developed and released to meet the specific needs of farmers breeders general and specific markets of the region and beyond.
- Ofori K. and Djagbletey D. 1995. Analysis of yield and components of seed yield in some early maturing varieties of cowpea. Tropical Science 35: 236-239. Ofori K. 1996.
- Correlation and path-coefficient analysis of components of seed yield in Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea). Euphytica 91: 103-107. Bennett-Lartey S. O. and Ofori K. 1999.
- Heterosis in cowpea landraces from Ghana. Ghana Journal of Agricultural Science 32: 27-30. Ofori K. 1999.
- Multivariate analysis of genetic diversity of the garden eggplant (Solanum aethiopicum (G)) from Ghana. Agronomie Africaine 11(1):1-6. Denwar N.N. and Ofori K. 2003.
- Variation in Trap-Crop Capacity of Soybean Genotypes for the Control of Striga hermonthica. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology 5 (4): 504-506. Kumaga F.K. and Ofori K. 2004.
- Response of soybean (Glycine max (L.) Merrill) to bradyrhizobia inoculation and phosphorus application. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology 6 (2): 324-327. Ofori K. and P.Y. Klogo 2005.
- Optimum time for harvesting yardlong bean (Vigna sesquipedalis) for high yield and quality of pods and seeds. Journal of Agriculture and Social Sciences 1(2): 86-88. Ofori K. and Gamedoagbao D.K. 2005.
- Yield of scarlet eggplant (Solanum aethiopicum L.) as influenced by planting dates of companion cowpea. Scientia Horticulturae 105 (3): 305-312. Ofori K. Kumaga F.K. and Tonyigah A. 2005.
- Morphological Characterisation and Agronomic Evaluation of Bambara Groundnut (Vigna subterranea (L.) Verdc.) Germplasm in Ghana. Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter 145:23-28.
- Ofori K. Blay E.T. and Gamedoagbao D.K. 2006. Inter-relationships between agronomic traits and fruit yield in scarlet egg plant (Solanum aethiopicum (L.) Gilo group). Ghana Journal of Horticulture 5: 1-9. Bam R.K. Craufurd P.Q. Dorward P.T. Asiedu E.A. Kumaga F.K.and K. Ofori. 2007.
- Introducing improved cultivars: Understanding farmers' seed drying and storage practices in central Ghana. Experimental Agriculture 43 (3): 301-317.